Since 2013 I’ve been obsessed with Instagram, but this year is my Snapchat year! Snapchat was initially released in 2011, I started hearing about it around 2014, I downloaded it and deleted it several times, I just wasn’t sure how to use it!
What attracted me to download it again and google “how to use snapchat” was the wonderful effects used there and that you can write on your images.
So I started using it very lightly, I still wasn’t sure how to use it expect in taking photos, I even told my husband: “I might be getting ancient in social media!”
The thing is, Snapchat doesn’t suggest friends, you need to add people either by their username or snapcode. Each user can see himself framed by the yellow ghost, around it there are dots, the code is there, if you screenshot or save the image you can add people you want to follow that way especially that it’s much simpler than usernames, people rarely use their names or common social media usernames like in the other platforms. It feels like the old stages of chatting, with fake nicknames and searching people through their emails without the conversation going to saved history.
But a few days ago, snapchat changed their strategy, all your posts are saved to your phone memory, and you can use it whenever.
I’m still NOT an expert on Snapchat, I still don’t know how to use or upgrade some features but here is what I know:
- When you snap an image or video, you can add it to your story so everyone who added you can view your story.
- If you don’t follow someone back or vice versa you can’t snap or chat each other, but you still can view their story unless they block you.
- When you snap an image or video, you can sweep your finger from left screen to right to add “location”, “weather”, “speed”, and it even has a few filters.
- Snapchat allows users to add real-time effects into their snaps by using face detection technology which is activated by long-pressing on a face within the viewfinder on both side of the camera.
- You can write, draw and add emoji to your videos and images, lately the emoji are even being interactive.
- If you want to write in large font double-click the “T” to use larger font.
- If you want to add your location all the time you need to make your mobile detectable.
- I’m still not sure how to add music through Google, BUT you can just rise the music up (old style!)
- Your snaps must be saved manually, after 24 hours everything disappears, hence the yellow ghost!
The reason I’m enjoying this app so much is because it’s fun to use, interactive and I LOVE viewing other people’s stories and I LOVE viewing my own by the end of the day, it looks amazing, I’m obsessed with the location doodles, I love using them and collecting them, they feel like postage stamps.
I love the face effects, like all 90s kids I’ll always be astonished by technology, the idea that you can look at a lense and have your image change in front of your eyes is mesmerizing! It’s like the magical mirror! You can be anyone you want with one snap!
If you know ANYTHING I don’t know yet please comment under the post!